Monday, April 11, 2011

Three Months with No Post and This is What you Get!!

Okay, so here’s how the story has been unfolding …

Last July, Milkyway hurt his knee.  We let him rest it up and it healed.  This February, he injured it again and this time, it did not heal on its own.  We believed it was a torn cruciate ligament and would require surgery.   For those of you more scientifically literate than I, this is the vet’s description:

On physical exam, it was found that he was Grade V/VI lame and had a cranial drawer present in his left hind stifle joint, indicating an injury to the cranial cruciate ligament. Cruciate ligament injuries are most successfully treated with a surgery called a Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy (TPLO). Without surgery, the lameness will persist and arthritis will occur.

This morning, I took Milkyway in for his surgery.   About the time the surgery was supposed to begin, I got a call from the vet.  They had seen things on the x-ray that complicated matters and that made them decide that surgery was not the route to take at this time.   

There is a tumour on the knee and the consensus is that it is most likely cancer.   He needs a biopsy to determine what kind of cancer and whether or not it is spreading.   If it is a localized, non-spreading cancer, we can amputate and have a three-legged pet for many years.  If it is a spreading cancer, we can amputate and hope that it hasn’t seeded itself elsewhere.  If it is a rapidly spreading cancer, amputation may just lead to further discomfort for a life that will be far too short anyway.   From our financial standpoint, chemo and radiation are not an option for a dog; even a well-trained and well-loved dog.  

I guess the question of what we do next depends entirely on the result of the biopsy.  Regardless of what we do, we no longer have a service dog, we have a very expensive pet! 

On that note, 4 Paws will provide us with a new service dog as quickly as possible at no cost.  However, our next question is, do we really want another dog?  We would still have the expense of travelling and staying in Ohio to train with a new dog. 

At this moment, the thought of having a daughter with Dravet’s Syndrome, a disabled dog AND a second dog is almost more than I can bear!

Prayers for wisdom and grace will be greatly appreciated!!

5 comments:

Stacey Moore said...

oh that is so sad. I will be praying for you and your family and the decisions you have to make.

Diana said...

My heart is heavy for you, Marvel. Some big decisions ahead. Praying for peace and wisdom for you and your family. Hugs.

Ky said...

I'll be praying, too.

May-B said...

I'm so sorry. This is so hard. I hope something works out. You all and the dog are in my prayers!

The Blog Fodder said...

A three legged dog, especially if the missing limb is a back leg is not very disabled and still able to function pretty normally. I've watched three legged dogs working cattle and sheep and can tell you they are well able to do their job.

If Milky Way is doing for you what he is supposed to do, in terms of looking after Dawsyn, he should be able to continue to do that. If he is not doing those things then you already have a very expensive pet with four legs or with three.

I do hope the tumor is benign.